Thursday, April 12, 2012

Lord of the Fries VII

April 5 & 7, 2012
Vegetarian burger chain Lord of the Fries is continually evolving. Last winter they introduced a diner-style outlet on Chapel St, this March they've brought a similar store to Brunswick St, Fitzroy (which we were thrilled to discover open after 11pm on a Thursday night) and they've expanded their menu too. We dropped by the Brunswick St and Melbourne Central stores last week to sample some of the newer items.

The burger options have increased to six - there's now a non-mock Guru burger, while the popularity of the limited-time-only Parma burger ($7.95 for 'big', pictured above) appears to have earned it a more permanent place on the menu. It's not difficult to work out why, with mock chicken patties smothered in Napoli sauce and cheese, topped with bacon. I don't like the diced raw onion but that's a matter of personal taste.

Hot dogs come in four varieties and two sizes. Michael trialled the big Tijuana ($7.95) with veg bacon ($1 extra) - he dug the spicy, sauce-heavy combination of jalapenos, cheese, onion, sour cream, ketchup and mustard, and highly recommends you too spring the extra for bacon.

LotF has more sides on offer than ever before. Vegos nostalgic for a certain fast food chain (Danni among them) have been thrilled to see coleslaw and potatoes with gravy made vegan-friendly. I kinda liked the idea of potato cakes ($1.95, pictured above) but the reality is too greasy and definitely needs sauce.

Chilli poppers, stuffed with vegan cheese then crumbed and deep-fried, are fun and pack enough heat but at $3.25 each their price is punchier still.

I was similarly surprised to see a small tub of chocolate mousse cost $3.95, but it's actually very rich even in this quantity. It's got a lovely smooth texture and sweetness about it, but it's short on the cocoa and I could taste the soy. Some will love this, though it's not quite my style.

It's great to see Lord of the Fries regularly redefining veg junk food - while not everything hits the mark, I admire their adventurous and flexible approach to menu development.
____________

We've reviewed a number of Lord of the Fries outlets one, two, three, four, five, six times. It's beloved by veg*ns, appearing recently on crosslegged on the front lawn, The Vege-Table, Veganise This, Louise, by Degrees, Vegawesome and Vegan SJ. A post on Backyard Activist indicates that it's a favourite of the Sea Shepherd crew too.

Positive reviews also appear on omni blogs Foreign Food Affair and new international students. Raging Cravings think these are the best fries in Australia, while Eat, Cook, Drink pitched them against their Chapel St neighbour Hooked and deemed them second best of the two.
____________ 

Lord of the Fries
383 Brunswick St, Fitzroy &
Knox Lane, Melbourne Central, Melbournce CBD (plus others)
veg snacks & meals $1.95-15.95
http://www.lordofthefries.com.au

Accessibility: The Fitzroy store has a standard-width door and (we think!) a ramp to enter. Front tables are moderately crowded but movable, side booths are comfy but less flexible. Ordering and payment takes place at a high counter. We haven't visited the toilets.

13 comments:

  1. The chilli poppers sound great, I'll have to keep an eye out for them! I love how they keep changing the menu, we usually stick to our favourites but it's nice to have different things to try when you're in the mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, I have my favourites too - I've been a big fan of their chicken burger these last few years!

      Delete
  2. We have occasionally had takeaway chips in the city but I didn't know they had eat-in diners - would be interesting to taste the hot dogs (love Michael's t-shirt)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna, these hot dogs are very different to Snag Stand's style (I don't know whether that's a good thing or bad thing from your perspective).

      You're very observant - I gave Michael that T-shirt for his birthday a few years ago. :-)

      Delete
  3. thanks for refering me as i did like it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice write up guys, definitely one of my favourite places to grab some vego fast food. But I've got to admit I eat there a LOT less than I used to since they put their prices up. Im guessing it was about a year ago now? Either way, I bought a big burger and a small box of nuggets with sauce the other night and it cost me $14. No chips, no drink. WAYYY too steep. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cal! Yeah, I agree that the prices are pretty steep these days... but I'm still grateful to have such easy access to veg junk food. :-)

      Delete
  5. Is everything in lord of fries is vegetarian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not 100% sure about rennet in cheese, but otherwise LOTF is totally vegetarian!

      Delete
    2. They definitely say the cheese is rennet free (and dont use curds for their poutine cause they can't source rennet free curds) so I think you're pretty safe :)

      Delete
    3. Sweet! Thanks for the extra info, eastcoastveg. :-)

      Delete
  6. Thanks Cindy .. You saved my day

    ReplyDelete