Friday, February 08, 2008

February 3, 2008: Walker's Doughnuts

This little piece of Americana is perched right next door to where's the beef? favourite, Lord of the Fries. Most obviously, Walker's sells doughnuts, and you can read reviews of them at Tummy Rumbles and Mmm... doughnuts. And while I'm not a soda connoisseur myself, some of you might also be interested to know that Walker's drinks fridge includes cans of Dr Pepper, and well as cherry and vanilla-injected Coke and Pepsi products.

But, as you can see from the picture, we were there for the hot dogs, because Walker's will substitute a vegan frank into any of their ketchup'n'mustard-laden menu items at your request. (However I doubt there are many folks out there ordering a Double Bacon Big Boy in the tofu model.) You're looking at Michael's New York Onion Relish ($4.95), topped with spicy onion relish, cheese and mustard. My Veg-o-rama Deluxe ($4.75) just had ketchup and mustard. We thought the toppings and buns were fine and they generously put two standard tofu franks into each serve. But the franks themselves were bad news; greyish, plastic-y and lukewarm. (I reckon the Sanitarium ones I've prepared at home are better.) It mattered little to Michael, with his bountiful toppings, but I was disappointed.

Props to Walker's for being so vege-friendly - shame about the execution though. Back to the burger for me!

Address: Shop 9/2 Elizabeth St, Melbourne CBD
Ph: 9662 2254
Price: veg hot dogs $4.75-5.10

10 comments:

  1. How strange, every time I've hotdogged it at Walkers, they have used the Sanitarium Not Dogs (the red ones) as their veggie substitute. I wonder why they changed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, let's hope it was a temporary change, then! I'm reasonably confident that we weren't eating those red ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a big hot dog fan but every now and then I wish I could have one when I was out - shame you weren't impressed with the dogs, Cindy, but Buttons' comment gives me some hope (although I am really wanting some really substantial veg version of the bratwurst at the vic market)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Johanna, I have had a few good American-style vege dogs but never encountered a vege tribute to the bratwurst! That would be quite something, especially smothered in caramelised onions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this place and been there a few times (as well as Lord of the fries) I didn't know they have vege versions as well. I would like to try one and compare.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cherrie! Will be interested to see what you think of the vege version. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the scariest looking tube I've ever seen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really? Personally, I'd be a lot more fearful of what a meat-based hot dog might be made out of. I'm picturing the same ingredients as Lisa Simpson did - rat tail, raccoon feet, pigeon head, and boot tongue. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was OK the first time, but last time the chilli-topping was ten times hotter. Try asking them to put the hot dog in the microwave with the toppings to warm it up (especially if it is late in the day.) It doesn't matter if it splits as all the toppings are going on it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the look of that hot dog, especially if you could wash it down with a Dr Pepper!

    ReplyDelete